On Tuesday 10 October 2023, a side event will take place on the margins of the 78th session of the UN General Assembly in New York, discussing my new report: “Pathways to peace: women human rights defenders in conflict, post-conflict and crisis-affected settings“.
The objective of the report and the side event is to spotlight the integral part WHRDs play in building peace, the nature of the risks they face because of it and the type of support that is needed to allow them to continue their work, both in-country and when engaging at the international level. The side event will take place two days before my presentation of the report to the General Assembly.
- Date: Tuesday, 10 October 2023
- Time: 13.15-14.15 EDT / 19:15-20:15 CET
- Venue: Conference Room 6, UN Headquarters, New York
- Registration: Those attending in person are kindly requested to RSVP by Monday, 9 October 2023 on the following link: https://forms.gle/stbUseJNGJr8A2Gm9
- Information: The event will be conducted in English only. It will also be live-streamed at https://media.un.org/en/asset/k1y/k1yvk61zey
- Ambassador Bob Rae, Permanent Representative of Canada to the UN
- Ambassador Maritza Chan Valverde, Permanent Representative of Costa Rica to the UN
Moderator: Ambassador Fergal Mythen, Permanent Representative of Ireland to the UN
- UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, Ms. Mary Lawlor
- Ms. Mariam Oyiza, WHRD from Nigeria
- Ms. Wai Wai Nu, WHRD from Myanmar
Closing Remarks: Ambassador Ana Jiménez, Chargé d’Affairs of the Permanent Mission of Spain to the UN
Organizers/co-sponsors: The UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, with the Permanent Missions of Ireland, Canada, Costa Rica and Spain.